Thursday, April 17, 2008

April is Poetry Month


Going through my emails today, I happened across the Borders Enewsletter and found a terrific section where poets read their material online. It was called Open Door Poetry - here is the link http://www.bordersmedia.com/odp/default.asp I particularly liked the Haiku contest. In honor of poetry month, here is one of my favorite poems:


Sleeping in the Forest

by Mary Oliver


I thought the earth

remembered me,she

took me back so tenderly,arranging

her dark skirts, her pockets

full of lichens and seeds.I slept

as never before, a stone

on the river bed, nothing

between me and the white fire of the stars

but my thoughts, and they floated

light as moths among the branches

of the perfect trees. All night

I heard the small kingdoms breathing

around me, the insects, and the birds

who do their work in the darkness. All night

I rose and fell, as if in water,grappling

with a luminous doom. By morning

I had vanished at least a dozen times

into something better.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

I like the poem too. Is it older or contemporary?

Arcadia Living said...

It is contemporary - the poet is still living, but a lot of her work was published from the 60s-80s.